Skip to main content

Goodridge Fuel Sample Point

As part of the Targa Australia Regulations the car must be fitted with a Goodridge G-Link quick disconnect coupling (shown above) for fuel sampling as per M5 of the Targa Australia Regulations:


Luckily thanks to my previous install of the Radium Automotive Fuel Rail I now had an AN connection at the back of the fuel rail and at the outlet of the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Now due to the clearance it was not possible to neatly install a take-off at the rear of the fuel rail where the current AN fuel line connects to so the easiest place to setup a take-off for a fuel sample point was off the Fuel Pressure Regulator. So to achieve this I purchased a SpeedFlow Tee-Piece (-06AN female to male with a male off-take). As you can see in the below photo I was then able to off-take from this point for the fuel sample connection.


The fuel sample line then follows the fuel rail line out from the Fuel Pressure Regulator and then splits off and follows the Oil Dipstick Tube up to the Left Hand strut top (which is the new mounting location for my oil dipstick tube now with the Evolve Carbon Fibre Intake installed). I then got a -06AN Hose clamp/mount and attached that to a threaded stud that was on the strut (I believe this normally mounts something to do with the SMG system on an SMG car) and was able to hold the sample point in place as shown in the photo below.


So now I have a pretty easy to access Fuel Sample point using the correct Goodrifge G-Link connector for when I eventually enter a Targa Australia event. I am not quite sure how I would have achieved this without the Fuel lines/rail being converted to AN with the Radium Automotive kit, potentially would have had to custom fabricate an AN tie-in to the stock hard-line or the like. Luckily I got on board with the Radium Automotive gear early as it made this particular little project extremely simple.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hard Motorsport Dash Flocking

Now while I had the dash out of the car to get in and replace the heater core and AC Evaporator I figured it was a good time to apply an anti-glare finish to the dash. Previously I had purchased the anti-glare dash kit and tools through HARD Motorsport so I got stuck into it. Its reasonably straight forward to do but hard to get right. I highly recommend the flocking applicator you can get through HARD Motorsport if you chose to do this yourself as it made a consistent overall finish a lot easier. The hard part was getting the glue painted on nice and consistently and then blasting with the flock before it started to dry. Here is a collection of photos of my efforts and the finish: With the dash out I also noticed the rust that had started to bloom on the dash frame as it is unpainted. I thought it was a little over the top to get it painted but also didn't like leaving something completely unpainted. I had a fair bit of a can of Wurth Rust-Stop Primer and Zich Rich Weld-Thru Prime

///M3 CS (ClubSport) Badging

As part of the overall theme of my car build I have wanted to set my car apart from other less modified or standard E46 M3s whilst staying true to a BMW styling. I wanted the car to look like it could have come off the factory floor as a BMW option package and drive well on the street, whilst also tearing up on the track. This is part of why for most of my build I have referred to it as a Clubsport build and this gave me the idea to try capture that naming and apply it to the theme of the car. There was never officially a BMW E46 M3 Clubsport as the BMW E46 M3 CS that Europe got was actually a Coupe Sport and obviously the CSL was the pinnacle model which as discussed previously I cannot really replicate from. So I started thinking about badging and labeling and was reminded of some of the M3Forum guys with Supercharged M3s who use a CSL badge but switch it around to give themselves a ///M3 sc which I always thought was kind of cool and set them apart without being too tacky. The use o