Skip to main content

Turner Motorsport Sway Bars

Another upgrade I started looking at was Sway Bars. The stock ones on my car were pretty rusted so it seemed like a good enough excuse to look around at other options. I am not much of a CSL fan boy and cannot bring myself to pay the premium for CSL parts under the guise of staying stock or true to BMW so I figured I could find a better candidate in this list of aftermarket options:
The first candidate I looked at was the KW Suspension Sway Bars under the premise that they may be designed to compliment the KW Clubsport suspension I had purchased. After a bit of research it doesn't seem like they were specifically designed to compliment their own systems directly and the size of the bars was more or less on par with the CSL spec bars.

The next ones I looked at were the Hotchkis sway bars. These were appealing as the front bar is hollow which would reduce weight. Although after reading a few reviews where there were issues with the install of the rear bar (which I have subsequently found out there is a solution too) I decided to avoid these, especially given their price point.

My initial review of the Ground Control sway bars were that they required a little more effort to specify correctly then I was willing to put in at the time. Given their price-point I pegged these as more a track dedicated car option. In retrospect if I put a bit more effort in and spoke to Ground Control about the options and had them customised to what I wanted these probably would be the best option.

So finally I looked at the H&R and the Turner Motorsport options. Based on my research I believe both are basically the same product and both manufactured by H&R they are just painted different colours. I liked the bar sizes but was a bit put off by the fact the front bar wasn't hollow. There was a few good reviews out there and I appreciated the fact you could buy the Turner Motorsport option with adjustable end-links ready to go.

As the Eibach's had no particular stand out features or price point I disregarded them reasonably quickly. Then, based almost purely on colour and the adjustable end links I landed on the Turner Motorsport bars.

I am hoping all the good reviews for these are true and I am reasonably happy with the choice. Although looking back I think if you want the best of the best and have a very specific suspension setup in mind then I think the Ground Controls spec'd to your requirements would be the best choice for sway bars.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodridge Fuel Sample Point

As part of the Targa Australia Regulations the car must be fitted with a Goodridge G-Link quick disconnect coupling (shown above) for fuel sampling as per M5 of the Targa Australia Regulations: Luckily thanks to my previous install of the Radium Automotive Fuel Rail I now had an AN connection at the back of the fuel rail and at the outlet of the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Now due to the clearance it was not possible to neatly install a take-off at the rear of the fuel rail where the current AN fuel line connects to so the easiest place to setup a take-off for a fuel sample point was off the Fuel Pressure Regulator. So to achieve this I purchased a SpeedFlow Tee-Piece (-06AN female to male with a male off-take). As you can see in the below photo I was then able to off-take from this point for the fuel sample connection. The fuel sample line then follows the fuel rail line out from the Fuel Pressure Regulator and then splits off and follows the Oil Dipstick Tube up to the Left Hand strut t

Department of Transport Modification Application

As I mentioned in the previous post I wanted this car to remain street legal and as a result I was going to have to get a Modification permit and approval for the level of modifications I was looking at. This means that all of my modifications were going to have to comply with the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction/Modification . The initial stage of the process is to complete a Modification Application which outlined what I planned to do. This stage is relatively simple and is just so they can stop you from starting anything that they will reject straight away. All you get at the end of this stage is "in principal" approval to continue with your modifications. As an engineers report and thorough inspection are required to get the final approval. I wanted to get this stage started as quickly as possible as it had to be submitted by mail so I knew the processing and response times would be slow. As a result I did some rather quick and high level resea

///M Clubsport Door Sills Search

Whilst starting the preparation and install for my Karbonius CSL Carbon Fibre Roof I started thinking about the final overall style of the car again. It particularly came to the front of my mind when a friend, who was working with me on the roof install, asked what the deal with the CS badge on the boot was. I realised tat whilst that choice had made sense to me it may not really land with others who are unfamiliar with BMWs and understand the history of the CS badging or the idea of what the Clubsport moniker encapsulates. From previous research and investigations into Clubsport branding from BMW that I could use to keep the style I knew of the somewhat rare E46 330i Clubsport so i thought I should take another look to see if there was anything from that that might help pull the theme together at all. It was at that point that I came across the ///M Clubsport door sills that are used on the  E46 330i Clubsport.  They struck me as perfect to help tie the theme together. They are an off